We are located at 223 Maple Avenue, Red Bank, NJ 07701.
“Wonderful dental assistants and hygienists. Dr. Conte himself is not only an expert in his field but incredibly pleasant to speak to. Been with his dentistry for several years and plan to keep it that way.”
Sleep apnea is a chronic condition that causes frequent interruptions and pauses in breathing during sleep. Depending on the severity of your condition, your breathing can stop and start again hundreds of times a night.
There are three main types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) occurs when the muscles in the back of your throat relax during sleep, causing the tissues in your throat to collapse and block your airway.
- Central sleep apnea stems from an interruption in the way your brain tells the muscles that control your breathing to contract.
- Complex sleep apnea happens when you have both OSA and central sleep apnea.
If you have experienced loud snoring, waking up gasping for breath, daytime fatigue, difficulty concentrating, insomnia, irritability, sexual dysfunction, depression, sore throat, or morning headaches, sleep apnea may be the culprit.
Depending on the severity of your condition, the team at Conte Dentistry may recommend one of the following treatments for sleep apnea:
- Oral appliance: There are two types of oral appliances for sleep apnea. A mandibular advancement device (MAD) shifts your jaw slightly forward to prevent the tissues in the back of your throat from collapsing during sleep. A tongue splint stabilizes your tongue to prevent it from blocking your airway.
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP): If you have severe sleep apnea, your dental provider might team with your medical physician for more extensive treatments. A CPAP machine delivers air to your lungs throughout the night so you physically can’t stop breathing. With this solution, you wear a fitted mask over your mouth and nose while the machine delivers the air you need to breathe.
Along with the above treatments, lifestyle changes, such as losing weight and quitting smoking, can help relieve your sleep apnea symptoms.
Let’s explore your symptoms. Call Conte Dentistry to schedule an evaluation to find out if our solutions will help you sleep better. Because, you deserve more energy and more clarity (and fewer kicks at night because you’re snoring too loudly).